Dinnerware is a necessity in every home. After all, you gotta have something to eat off of! If you’re anything like me, when you select anything that you’ll be using in your home, you want to ensure that it is high quality, attractive, and functional all at the same time. Dinnerware is definitely one of things. So before you purchase your next set, consider each of these attributes to confirm that the dinnerware you select is perfect for your family and what you’ll be using it for.
- Occasion. Will your dinnerware be used on a daily basis or only for special occasions? The remaining attributes to consider may change based on this decision.
- Material. The most important thing to decide when choosing dinnerware is the material out of which it is made. Some common materials include porcelain (also known as china), ceramic, and stoneware. If you are using the dinnerware on a daily basis, I highly recommend porcelain because of it’s chip-resistant durability, beauty, and affordability.
- Durability. Would you like to hand down your dishes to your children or grandchildren one day? If so, then select dishes that are timeless (such as a solid color), sturdy (such as porcelain china), and made by a reputable company such as Fiesta.
- Washability. Yeah, I made up that word to keep all the starters of my points one words. 🙂 You definitely want to consider a dinnerware set’s washability before you buy it. For me, that means it is required to be dishwasher safe.
- Microwavability. Another made-up word. If you often microwave leftovers, be sure that you don’t select dishes with a metal edge or line on them. Doing so will cause damage to your microwave whenever you nuke it.
- Color. Choose a color or combination of colors that you love. Some might prefer an ornate pattern while others prefer the simplicity and versatility of a single color. Yet others enjoy mixing and matching contrasting solid colors for more interest.
- Quantity. When selecting dinnerware, consider how much you’ll need. My recommendation is that you have 2 to 3 settings per person in your family. When having guests, simply ensure that all of these place settings are clean to use for them.
What We Went With
In our home, we chose classic and high quality Fiesta dinnerware in the Turquoise color (cool fact: this color has been around since 1937). I love this dinnerware because it is made with sturdy, chip-resistant china (porcelain), the color is gorgeous and goes perfectly with our vintage-inspired kitchen decor, and it should last for many years and be a great heirloom one day for one of our children or grandchildren.
A huge thank to Fiesta who sponsored this post! Be sure to check out their gorgeous, colorful line of dinnerware!