Something that I have been trying to incorporate in my daily hygiene routine is using a body scrub (I use it mainly on my hands and feet, then dry brush the rest of my body). Here are some of the benefits of using a body scrub:
- Exfoliates. It sloughs off dead skin cells which helps towards clear, soft skin.
- Improves circulation. Because a massaging motion is applied when body scrub is used, blood circulation in those areas improves.
- Decreases cellulite, wrinkles, and scars. As the gentle “scratchiness” of the scrub takes place, it wears down the appearance of cellulite, wrinkles, and scars.
About the Ingredients
Here’s a list of the ingredients I used for this sugar scrub recipe and why I selected them.
- Turbinado. This is the ingredient that does the bulk of the scrubbing action. I chose it over white sugar because white sugar is processed and may not be the most healthful for the skin. Plus, each turbinado (or raw sugar as it is also often called) granule is coarse, making it more effective at exfoliating.
- Coconut Oil. Nourishes, soothes, and moisturizes the skin.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Olive oil has regenerative powers, keeping skin soft and smooth.
- Oatmeal. The proteins in oatmeal assist in preserving the skin’s natural barrier function, warding off anything on the outside from getting to the inside. Oatmeal also contains saponins which help to remove unwanted oils and dirt from the pores. Be sure to use slow-cooking or old fashioned oats.
- Raw Honey. Honey is natural, moisturizing, and soothing.
- Orange Zest. Helps against wrinkles and blemishes plus helps to tone the skin.
- Lemon Essential Oil. Fights against germs and helps with blemishes or cuts. It also helps to tone the skin. Please note that only therapeutic grade lemon essential oil (I highly recommend the Young Living brand) should be used. Also note that this oil is phototoxic, so you should not expose your skin to sunlight for up to 12 hours after applying the scrub (making it perfect to use before bedtime).
- 1 c. raw sugar or turbinado
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. oatmeal, finely ground in coffee grinder
- 1 tbsp. raw honey, melted
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 15 drops Young Living lemon essential oil*
Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
To use, scoop up a bit with a clean hand and scrub the skin with gently, circular motions. Avoid use if skin is sunburned or injured.
When using high quality essential oils like Young Living's, be sure to store the scrub in a glass jar.