Both my husband and I set the dishwasher to run almost on a daily basis. And since life is so busy, we often forget to tell the other that we did so. As a result, the one who didn’t set it to run is unaware of whether or not this has occurred and will often add dirty dishes amid the clean ones or re-run it by mistake.
I’m sure this scenario is familiar. Add more family members who will set the dishwasher to run and it can become all the more confusing!
So I decided to design and make this lovely chevron clean and dirty dishwasher indicator. It’s super easy to construct and it does great to communicate to others whether the dishes have been cleaned or not.
What You Need
- one of the FREE printable dishwasher indicators (find these towards the bottom of this post)
- one sheet of white cardstock
- a laminating machine and laminating pouch (optional but handy for waterproofing the indicator)
- a thumbtack or something else with a small, sharp point
- a brad
- clear craft glue
- some sticky magnet strips (for magnetic dishwashers) or a couple of sticky hook and loop strips (for non-magnetic dishwashers)
What You Do
- Print the free printable dishwasher indicator onto a sheet of white cardstock. Use your printer’s highest quality setting so it looks nicer.
- Using sharp scissors, cut out each of the three pieces.
- Optional: laminate the three pieces then cut them out again, leaving a tiny bit of an edge so the laminating stays on.
- Using a thumbtack or some other small, sharp, pointy object, poke the black dot centers on pieces B and C (see graphic above).
- Place piece C on top of piece B and insert the brad, spreading the back part.
- Carefully put glue around the inner edge (white side) of piece C as indicated in orange below.
- Stick the united B and C pieces to the front (colored side) of piece A.
- Put something heavy on top of the indicator and allow to dry completely.
- Test the center circle (piece B). It should be able to move pretty easily. If it doesn’t, then the glue was too close to it.
- Apply some sticky magnet strips or hook and loop strips to the back and put to use.
Two pages. Click on the color you’d like to be led to the printable.