Ah, ’tis the time of the year for soup! There’s simply something about the fall and winter seasons that make you just want to stay indoors where it’s warm and cozy and sip up a bowl full of hot, tasty soup.
Well, here’s a yummy soup the whole family will enjoy. It’s quite similar to chicken noodle soup (maybe kinda almost like chicken soup meets egg drop soup), but not quite the same. It is called avgolemono soup. Avgolemono (pronounced ahv-gaw-le-maw-naw) soup is a traditional Greek soup made with lemon juice, eggs (sometimes whole, sometimes just the yolks), and some kind of broth. These ingredients are mixed together and cooked until it thickens. Pasta or rice and some kind of meat are also typically added to the avgolemono soup.
This soup is easy to make, highly nutritious, and quite versatile (feel free to add or subtract ingredients according to your personal taste). One tweak I like to do is add a couple splashes of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) for some added heat. Definitely explore using different spices and herbs to make your own unique avgolemono.
This soup is excellent eaten alone or served with a simple side salad, rolls, or crackers.
It’s also perfect to pack up for lunches (maybe use a pint and a half canning jar with a cozy sleeve around it to keep it warm and a BNTO cup full of crackers for on the go). Because it’s thick, it can be sipped more easily whilst riding in the car.
Chunky Chicken Avgolemono Soup
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. brown rice or orzo
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- In a large soup pot, melt the coconut oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the stock, water, salt, thyme, bay leaf, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice or orzo. Return to a boil. Cook until the pasta or rice is al dente.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the shredded chicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. Pour some of the soup mixture into the egg mixture and briskly whisk to prevent coagulation. Add egg mixture to the pot.
- Continue to heat, stirring often, until the soup thickens slightly.