A vanity URL is quite simply a URL that is more polished, attractive, succinct, identifying, and professional. In the blogging world, just about everything we use can have a vanity URL. So today I’ll discuss how to set up vanity URL’s for some of the most common things we as bloggers use.
- Click on the “Edit Page” button.
- Click on “Basic Information” in the menu to the left.
- Change the “Username”. Remember that you can only do this once, so make sure it is short, to the point, professional, and something you really like.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of your group.
- Select “Edit Group.”
- Scroll down to where it says “Email Address.”
- Click the “Set Up Group Email” button.
- Enter whatever name you’d like for your group. Make sure you REALLY like the name you’re inputting here because you will NOT be able to change it EVER!
- Click the “Create Email” button.
- Save and you’re set. The string of boring numbers in your group’s URL will change to the name you selected (plus it will add an email address by which members can post to the group via text).
Go to gplus.to. In the “Nick Name” field, type your blog name, your personal name, etc. (whatever you want to be the identifying name of the page). In the “Your Google+ ID” field, copy-paste just the number from your long profile URL: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110079139630258382316/ Click the “Add” button and you’re set.
- Go to the “Profile” tab.
- Click on “Edit Profile”.
- Scroll down to where it says “Public Profile” in the big box.
- Click the “Edit” link.
- There will be a box that says “Your Public Profile URL” in the upper right-hand corner. Click on the “Customize your public profile URL” link.
- A box will pop up where you can enter your vanity name (your name, your blog’s name, etc.). Save and you’re set.