Here’s something I dreamed up that combines my love for deviled eggs, cheese, and bacon. The blend of spices married with cheddar and bacon makes it absolutely delicious. I always receive compliments when I serve this tasty appetizer!
Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp. reserved bacon fat
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. cheddar, finely shredded
- dried dill weed for garnish
- Put the eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat (if you live at high altitude, allow the water to continue to boil for 3 to 5 minutes to accommodate for the fact that water boils at a lower temperature at high altitude). Cover the saucepan and remove from heat. Allow to rest in the hot water for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Once cool, finely crumble it.
- Once the eggs have finished cooking, run cold water over them until they are cool enough to handle. Peel them then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Dump the egg yolks into a medium-sized bowl. Using a fork or a potato ricer, thoroughly smash the yolks.
- Scoop up 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the skillet you cooked the bacon in and pour into the bowl with the yolks. Mix in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- Gradually mix in the mayonnaise until the mixture is smooth and moist. If too dry, add more mayonnaise until the desired consistency is attained.
- Stuff the yolk mixture into a pastry bag with a star tip (or a zip bag with a corner snipped off). Pipe the yolk mixture into the halved whites.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cheese on top each egg. Sprinkle about half a pinch of dill onto each. And top each with 2 to 4 bacon pieces.